09 March 2010

Hardworking, that Ryan

Thanks for being so patient. As I foreshadowed last week, I have some photos to show you of a fun project I did recently for one of our very best friends, Ryan. He asked me to make him a holster to wear at work back when he and Emily visited us in November. November was a while ago! I've been busy, as you well know.

Ryan is a server at the bustling South Philly Cantina and he wanted something to carry a check presenter, an iPhone, a pen and a pencil and his chapstick, with possibly a secret pocket thrown in for good measure and belt loops to attach to his belt. My schedule had a tiny window in it two weeks back and I headed to this year's legendary White Elephant Sale (a great source for fabric and raw material for crafting projects) on the hunt for interesting plaids and inspiration.

I decided to make him two. One for business and one for pleasure, you might say. One classic red and black plaid with brown leather accents and one crazier one, featuring vintage/awesome hand screened canvas in a neon green and yellow and purple pattern. That way, if Ryan is feeling fruitier one day and lumberjacked the next, he need not sacrifice self-expression while working.







In the end each included designated pockets for each of his aforementioned necessities, plus a few extra, with two reinforced belt loops of leather or seatbelt, two secret pockets for small things in back and a stitch-suggested pocket for chapstick.

It was so nice to be sewing again. So nice.

**John's modeling here, as Ryan lives in Philadelphia.

6 comments:

ryan said...

oh man mary!! So awesome, i've been getting some many compliments from co-workers and tables!! I think they may be a market for these so jump on the copywriting asap. thanks again, leather jacket coming soon!

Lauren said...

the real question is: whose i-phone is modeling?

Toast Ghost said...

that's my ipod touch that i got free with my computer. don't worry, no major lifestyle changes over here--still working my old grey mare of a verizon phone...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel said...

awesome. business/pleasure weekday/weekend.. . sounds like a mullet.

冠宇 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.